Ensuring your premises are always clean and sanitary is the responsibility of every business manager or owner. And while booking professional office cleaning services in Brazil, IN is the best way to deal with general workplace cleaning, the reality is that employees also have a role to play when it comes to office hygiene.
Read on to learn how to deal with the cleaning and hygiene needs of your business in the most effective way possible.
How do you maintain hygiene in the workplace?
Broadly speaking, there are two main ways to make sure your premises remain clean and hygienic at all times. These methods aren’t mutually exclusive: in fact, they need to be used together to ensure a healthy and germ-free work environment.
These ways are:
1. Implement a workplace hygiene policy
You need to determine a set of hygiene standards that both you and your employees will have to abide by. Furthermore, you must make sure everyone at the office is aware of these standards, as well as the consequences of not following them.
A good hygiene policy in a commercial setting requires everyone to:
- Keep their desks reasonably clean and uncluttered.
- Come to work freshly showered, dressed in clean clothes, and reasonably well-groomed.
- Wash their hands at least 2-3 times a day.
- Wash communal cups, mugs, plates, and cutlery after using them.
- Flush after using the toilet.
- Refrain from bringing in smelly foods or leaving spoiled edibles in the communal fridge.
2. Make sure the workplace is professionally cleaned
You’re going to have to hire full-time janitors, or outsource your commercial cleaning to a cleaning company. After all, as a manager of your business you definitely have more important things to do than wash the windows or disinfect the toilet bowl.
Needless to say, your employees should never be asked to clean beyond the bare minimum (eg., washing the dishes they use). Expecting otherwise is not only likely to make your workers unhappy, it would also result in a net loss for your business because your employees would be mopping the floor instead of doing the job you’re paying them to do.
How do you talk to an employee about personal hygiene?
It’s an unfortunate reality that some people don’t place much emphasis on personal hygiene. This can become a problem in a crowded workplace, especially since good personal hygiene is one of our best defenses against COVID-19.
When talking to a worker about hygiene, remember the following:
- You don’t know the cause. Not everyone who has bad hygiene is a slob. Medical problems, cultural differences, and personal issues can all be the underlying cause of poor hygiene. Always identify the root cause of the problem before deciding how to proceed.
- Make sure you meet the person in private. No one wants to be publicly told they have poor hygiene. The manager or the HR representative should always have these types of difficult conversations with an employee somewhere where they won’t be disturbed.
- Avoid ultimatums unless absolutely necessary. You should be tactful, yet direct with the problematic employee, and you should let them explain themselves. Give them an ultimatum or punish them only after you’ve already exhausted all other options.
Where can I book the #1 office cleaning services in Brazil, IN?
At KCB Janitors, we can proudly say we’re the leading provider of commercial cleaning services in Brazil and nearby communities. Our automated cleaning plans and business-friendly secure payment systems are second-to-none in Indiana.
With our help, you’ll be able to relax at Craig Park with your friends and loved ones, safe in the knowledge that your company’s cleaning needs are being taken care of by the best. Contact us today.