As any successful manager or business owner will tell you, maintaining a spotless and germ-free office is a must if you want to leave a positive impression on clients and partners, keep employee morale and productivity high, and prevent sickness in the workplace.
However, hiring seasoned janitors in Farmersburg, Terre Haute, IN, and the surrounding areas to give your premises regular cleanings isn’t always enough to ensure your office stays hygienic and clutter-free throughout the day. You also need to make sure your employees take office hygiene seriously.
This is where a workplace hygiene policy comes into play. By having your employees take an active role in keeping their desks clean and battling clutter, these policies can greatly benefit both your company and your workers. Keep reading to learn more.
How do you motivate employees to keep office clean?
First off, it’s important to point out that you should never expect your workers to perform tiring and time-consuming types of cleaning such as vacuuming and mopping the floors, washing the windows, or scrubbing the toilets. These tasks should only be done by professional cleaners.
There are 3 reasons for this:
- It’s ineffectual. Unless the employee in question is a trained janitor, they won’t have the experience and the expertise necessary to render comprehensive (or even passable) commercial cleanings.
- It reduces productivity. By having an employee vacuum the carpet, you’re effectively preventing them from doing their actual job. This dramatically slows down work and loses you money in the long run.
- It lowers morale. Most people want to perform the tasks they’ve trained for and were hired to do. Having to do things that are vastly different from what they’ve signed up for will inevitably make them unhappy and less likely to stay in your company.
How to implement a workplace hygiene policy?
An office hygiene policy is a written policy that informs your employees of what exactly is expected of them in terms of cleanliness and personal hygiene. Copies of this policy should be put at highly visible places (at water coolers, on bathroom doors, etc.) and handed out to each worker.
A typical workplace hygiene policy requires the staff to:
- Maintain reasonable grooming habits
- Shower on a daily basis
- Wear clean clothes to work
- Place a hand or a tissue over their nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing
- Wash their hands with soap and warm water after eating or using the bathroom
- Wipe down their workstation with disinfectant wipes when they arrive at the office
- Refrain from eating strong-smelling foods at the workplace
- Wash eating and drinking utensils, or put them in the dishwasher, after they’re done using them
- Avoid cluttering their desks or the spaces between the desks
- Avoid touching other people’s workstations or using their equipment
- Wear a face mask if they currently have a cold, flu, or similar transmittable disease
Where can I hire the most experienced janitors in Farmersburg, Terre Haute and the area?
In addition to the obvious benefits of keeping everyone healthy and more comfortable, a clean workplace also boosts productivity, makes it less likely that your employees will look for another job, and reduces the possibility of people taking sick leave.
At KCB Janitors, we’d like to help you ensure your office meets the highest standards for cleanliness all year round. Customized autoclean plans, fast and convenient booking, safe and secure payment methods, and fully bonded and insured cleaners are just some of the many advantages we offer.
By having the top cleaners in Farmersburg, Terre Haute and the rest of Vigo County area attend to your company’s cleaning needs, you’ll be able to focus on what really matters, or simply enjoy quality time with your loved ones. Contact us today.